Serving Size: 4 to 5
- 1 c yellow mung dal
- 1 c basmati white or jasmine rice
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 Tbs shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ c water
- 3 Tbs ghee
- 1 and ½ inch of cinnamon bark
- 5 cardamon pods
- 5 cloves, whole
- 10 black peppercorns, whole
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 6 c water
- 1 slice of lime
Directions for kitchari
1. Wash the mung dal and rice until water is clear. Soaking the dal for a few hours helps with digestibility.
2. In a blender, put the ginger, coconut, cilantro and ½ cup water and blend until liquefied.
3. Heat a large saucepan on medium heat and add the ghee, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns and bay leaves. Stir for a moment until fragrant.
4. Add the blended items to the spices, then the turmeric and salt. Stir until lightly browned.
5. Stir in the mung dal and rice and mix very well.
6. Pour in the 6 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes, then turn down the heat to very low and cook lightly covered until the dal and the rice are soft, about 25 to 30 minutes. Decorate with a few sprigs of cilantro and a lime slice or two.
Nutritional information: per 1 cup of mung dal
14 grams protein
15.5 grams of fiber
Directions for making ghee:
1. Melt 8 sticks of unsalted butter in a large heavy pot over low to medium heat for about 30 minutes. Use the very best quality butter you can find from grass fed, no antibiotic cows. The butter will separate into 3 layers: white foam on top (water content), clarified butter in the middle and mild solids on the bottom.
2. Strain butter through a fine sieve or cheese cloth into a mason jar.
3. If you still see white milk solids, you can strain it a second time. It should be a clear yellow color and is known in India as liquid gold.
Bon appetite! This will be the easiest cleanse you have tried!
Recipe compliments of Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Usha Lad and Dr. Vasant Lad, The Ayurvedic Press, Albuquerque, NM, 2nd edition.