One bag of Idaho (or other) potatoes
A dozen sprigs of parsley
A dozen sprigs of cilantro
Half dozen green onions
Half of a large purple onion
Half a green bell pepper
Half a yellow or orange bell pepper
Dozen celery sticks
3 hardboiled eggs (optional)
Two teaspoons horseradish
One small jar of safflower mayonnaise
One teaspoon of Door County traditional Balsamic Vinegar (www.dcoliveoil.com)
Two tablespoons of mustard (Grey Poupon)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
A sprinkle of tarragon
A sprinkle of paprika
1) Peel the potatoes and put them into boiling water and test them with a fork after about 25 to 30 minutes. When tender and falling apart, drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
2) Soak all vegetables in a white vinegar bath and stir them around. I do this in batches. Rinse under cold running water and dry. It is especially important to dry the parsley and cilantro well in a paper towel before mincing. You want to introduce the least possible amount of water into the potato salad.
3) Finely mince the parsley, cilantro, green onions, purple onion, celery, bell peppers and hardboiled eggs and set aside.
4) In a small mixing bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, horseradish and mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, tarragon and paprika.
5) In a large bowl, mix the cooled potatoes, vegetable and egg mixture, and mayo mixture all together. Salad tongs do this well.
6) Transfer to the serving bowl you want to present it in and decorate with parsley sprigs around the sides. Sprinkle a bit of paprika on top of the potato salad and Voila! There is nothing better than homemade potato salad . Be creative and add in your own favorite vegetables. The sky’s the limit! A word about Door County products; they are delicious! My Balsamic vinegar was a gift from my daughter and son in law, who grew up in Door County, Wisconsin. Bon Appetit!
Nutrition Facts: one serving is 8.8 ozs. From www.calorieking.com
Calories 358 (1495 kJ)
Calories from fat 185
% Daily Value 1
Total Fat 20.5g 32%
Sat. Fat 3.6g 18%
Cholesterol 170mg 57%
Sodium 1323mg 55%
Total Carbs. 27.9g 9%
Dietary Fiber 3.3g 13%
This post has not been tagged.